Many Christians talk about sin without revealing the nature of it. We cannot be obscure because some Christians might be in sin without being aware of it like for example: When a person wants to express his feelings in words of something that he witnessed as unbelievable, he uses God’s name to express it. Without knowing it, the person is using God’s name in vain. There is more sins that one can do if they are not aware of it.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain. -Exodus 20:7
What is sin? In Genesis 2 God gives a serious warning to the first man [Adam] whom He just created not to eat from a certain tree.
15 Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to cultivate it and tend it. 16 The LORD God commanded the man, saying, “From any tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for on the day that you eat from it you will certainly die.” -Genesis 2:15-17
Sin is to disobey God’s command—to do that which God said not to do is sin. Now, let’s go a little deeper and see what is sin.
The one who believes in Him is not judged; the one who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. -John 3:18
Rejecting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior is the deadliest sin one can commit, as it will take you to hell with no more chances of being rescued after dying in that state. As long as you are alive, you have a chance to escape hell but after death, that opportunity is gone.
In the Book of Hebrews, it gives a very serious warning to those who reject Jesus Christ.
How much more severe punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? -Hebrews 10:29
Those who heard the gospel and still rejected Jesus will get a worse punishment in hell than those who never got the whole revelation of Jesus Christ but still didn’t believe with the small illumination [through creation] that God gave them to know that He exists. We see this in Romans Chapter 1, see below.
19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, being understood by what has been made, so that they are without excuse. -Romans 1:19-20
If a person accepts the small revelation of who God is then God will provide that person with more revelation if he has no access to another Christian, Bible, or a church—God will send one of His angels to give him the gospel.
And I saw another angel flying in midheaven with an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation, tribe, language, and people; -Revelation 14:6
Below is a list of other sins that shows what the flesh desires and that dominates the lives of those without the Holy Spirit.
9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor those habitually drunk, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. -1 Corinthians 6:9-10
The list of sins above will keep a person from heaven because it shows that that type of lifestyle is a person who is living for themselves [the flesh] and not for God. You cannot be a Christian and live like that. A Christian can fall into sin but they will get up by the power of God, repent and try to live a life of holiness. A Christian cannot adopt any of these and say he or she is pleasing to the Lord because all in the list goes against the commands and who He is.
Those are the sins that Satan uses to get you away from the Lord, not closer. Many far left Christians, which is an oxymoron by the way, have accepted the homosexual lifestyle as not being sinful and have put in leadership, those who still live the lifestyle of homosexuality. That is detestable to the Lord God, Jesus Christ.
I will give a quick explanation of each sin mentioned on the list.
- Sexually Immoral: This is when a married man has relations with a woman that is not is wife. One who looks at porn. And those who live the homosexual lifestyle, men sleeping with men, and women with women (Romans 1:26-27).
- Idolaters: This sin comes in different shapes and forms. One can be an idolater by worshiping a real statue/idol. Through money—living for it—putting it above God. Loving yourself, your family (Matthew 10:37), and your material— choosing all those things over the Lord.
- Adulterers: See also “Sexually Immoral”. It has two aspects, a physical one and a spiritual one. The physical one is when a married woman or man sleeps with a person that they are not married to. And the spiritual one is when a Christian puts someone or thing above God for spiritual fulfillment.
- Homosexuals: This is when a person has relations with the same sex. When a man sleeps with a man or when a woman sleeps with another woman, which is detestable to the LORD (Leviticus 18:22).
- Thieves: This is taking something from someone which does not belong to you (Exodus 20:15, 17).
- Greedy: Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself. Being greedy keeps a person from obeying God’s Word. If you see someone hungry and you have food or money to buy them food and the Holy Spirit prompts you to help them and you don’t, it is because of greed. Greed keeps you from helping anyone.
- Habitually Drunk: This sin keeps your mind dull and unable to use your judgment. It also keeps you addicted to beer, makes you live for it and do anything for it.
- Verbal Abusers: This is when a person curses at someone or makes them feel bad by putting them down, which is in direct contrast to the nature of God who builds you up not tear you down.
- Swindlers: This is a person who cheats someone out of their money.
We have to warn newborn believers, unbelievers, and our families about the danger of rejecting Jesus Christ and straying away from Jesus into the path of death.
All Scriptures were quoted from the NASB